Wednesday, May 13, 2015

The honeymoon is over

Since Ryan was born he has really been doing very very well. They say that premature babies have a honeymoon period which is usually 2 or 3 days. Ryan's was about 10 days and we knew this day would come. Monday and Tuesday were long hard exhausting days. Monday he had his primary nurse Kim back who is a walking angel and Ryan loves her. Kim could tell something was off with him after being off for the weekend. She sent down a blood culture and it came back positive. So he is fighting an infection currently amongst some other "stuff" and we will leave it at that. I can't imagine being 1 lb 5.5 oz fighting off an infection.  This kid is a true hero in my eyes. 

Positives since he has been born, no head bleeds!!!! Everyone should stand up and yell thank god right now!! He is being fed breast milk which he loves and I'm so happy I can provide that for him.

 I also got word that he is up on his weight so he is gaining. I called at 3am so I can't remember what the nurse told me but I remember he is up 20 grams so that's all that matters.

I know people have been asking to see Ryan and for pictures. We won't be sending out any pictures of him. It's hard because we want everyone to see him but he has a breathing tube and is so small. Maybe in a couple months we can share a picture. Just picture the cutest little man in your head with the most perfect feet and little body but with long fingers :). People have also been asking to come see him. As much as we want everyone to meet him visitors are only allowed for immediate family. He can't wait to meet everyone visit when he comes home in August. We can give him high fives and kisses from people though so just tell us ;)

Despite the longest day emotionally of my life, I got to hold my baby for the first time since he was born today. It was the best 5 minutes of my life. 

I'm blabbing, that's all for now! Fingers crossed for a better report at rounds today. 

Lots of love
Andrea Shawn and Ryan

7 comments:

  1. Give him a Big kiss from all the Richards!!! I can't wait to read all about him! Xoxo - Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea...
    Thank you for sharing, you and your family have been on my thoughts. Sending you strength.
    -Roy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Andrea! Absolutely agree, experiences make us grateful and strong and God will use this for the good. He sounds amazing and awesome like his parents. Would love to bring you a meal, just let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea, I am so happy you were finally able to have Ryan in your arms. I have been thinking about you and your family often the past couple of days. You are a strong and amazing person and Ryan is lucky to have you as a mother. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ryan sending prayers and hugs all the way from Kansas! Andrea and Shawn hugs and thinking of you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrea, my family and I are praying for you guys as you step into this new season of life. We are also praying that Ryan would continue to grow strong and healthy! What a blessing that you got to hold him for the first time... the first of countless times for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your precious baby Andrea! You and your family have been in my thoughts and prayers. I am so glad to hear that Ryan is getting stronger each day - he is so lucky to have you as a mother and role model XO

    ReplyDelete