Thursday, July 2, 2015

Everything comes in 2's and sometimes 3's



This was a week we all deserved! Ready...set...go! Ryan's eye exam went well, he stopped 3 medications, he turned 2 months old, he hit 4 1/2 lbs, he pooped and now he is eating 3mls of breast milk starting last night!!! We deserved this!!!! You know he's been through more than the average bear when everyone in the NICU tells you he has been through a lot since he has been on this earth. So strong this boy! He has already taught us so much about life and unconditional love. 

Ryan would have been 33 weeks today. You know what, I'm going to stop counting like that and just say that tomorrow he will be 9 weeks. I need to focus on one number. 9 weeks, WOW! 

A few thoughts over the past week: 

1. My cousin Theresa is amazing, she has coordinated food from my family to be brought over every week, when Shawn and I come home the food is in the fridge, cleans my house, and every time she comes over she brings flowers that her kids have picked for Shawn and I (aka weeds in a vase) and a picture or card to give to Ryan. The sweetest!!  My favorite part are the weeds, so thoughtful and hilarious. Long grass and those little white flowers that grow in your yard brighten up my kitchen :) It's the little things. 

2. What a great week at work. Thank you all for being so wonderful about my request to be normal. This week was a normal week at work for me and man it felt good!! 

3. Lactation consultants; although nice people, evil job. When you are in the NICU they like to check in to provide support if you need it the entire time you are there. What they really want to get out of you is how much you are pumping a day. I told the lady I don't know, even though I did, and she asked me to estimate so I did. I also told her I do my best with pumping and I don't really keep track because if I do I will make myself crazy with what "amount" I should be getting a day. She did the "math" which I think is a bunch of bull and she proceeded to tell me I was making less than what I should. I was down in the 550's and should be in the 700's by now. I just said ok but the lady reassured me before she left that she knew Ryan wasn't eating right now. Thanks lady...I feel better now! So now I see how moms stop doing this because they make themselves crazy with how much they are getting. I am competitive so that doesn't help one bit. I give myself a pep talk everyday that I am doing the best I can, I get up every 3 hours, sometimes 4 at night so I can get more than 4 hours of sleep, I am working full time, I have a baby in the hospital that I live 30 minutes away and I pull 15 hour days away from home.  This is one of those things you just nod and smile when they come talk with me. I know I'm doing the best I can no matter what anyone says about anything. 

Looking forward to enjoying our pool and some lobsters this weekend. That's the goal atleast. 

Xo Andrea Shawn and Ryan 






3 comments:

  1. WOW...Ryan is an amazing little guy with a big message to everyone..count your blessings everyday, and keep the faith that everything is going to be okay. Andrea you continue to amaze me, no wonder Ryan is a Rock Star and CRUSHES everything that he faces. Who would've thought such excitement could occur over a poop!! I'm happy to hear that he's doing as well as he is. Before you know it he'll be home and then some celebration will be happening. Happy 4th of July to Ryan, Andrea, and Shawn!! Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to hear all of this great news!❤️ Keep giving yourself those pep talks because you are right...you ARE doing the very best you can! Ryan is getting everything he needs from both you and Shawn so don't worry!! You are doing a GREAT job!!xoxo. Meliss❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to hear Ryan is doing such an amazing job! You are doing amazing juggling work and being here at the hospital to be with your baby. Again I'm so glad Ryan is doing so amazing! It's crazy to think how far he has come! I will keep in touch and maybe one day we will meet again! Smile !
    ❤️ Your labor nurse Michelle

    ReplyDelete